Maths Week England was set up in 2019 with the goal of ensuring that no children miss out on the opportunities that being a confident competent mathematician can give them. Set up by Andrew Jeffrey, Maths Week England aims to show pupils that maths is fun, relevant and, more importantly, available to everyone. This year the theme is “Three is the magic number” and will run throughout the activities from Monday 13th – Friday 18th November. Throughout the week there will be a variety of maths activities, problems and competitions to bring a little bit of fun to your lessons. You will be able to work alone and as a group to tackle problems you might not normally see in the classroom.
Nrich, the specialists in rich mathematics, will be releasing video problems on Monday 13th November. Details will be shared via the school website and Smestow social media. You may submit solutions to Mrs Butler by the end of Tuesday. Nrich will publish some of the best solutions on their website!
What will we be doing to celebrate?
1. Form time puzzles – Monday
2. Puzzle competition in the maths corridor – see your maths teacher for an entry sheet
3. Puzzles and activities in maths lessons
4. A3 Art competition in Art lessons – Deadline Tuesday 14th November
5. Nrich video problems available on Smestow social media and the school website
6. MWE23 Date challenge – A tangram puzzle available from your form tutor